Almost 10 weeks ago today, for most of us, the world as we’d come to know it suddenly changed.
One tiny yet deadly virus, completely turned our lives upside down. All over the world.
The abrupt change has been a different experience for each of us, depending on our personal situation but for many, it has also come with a sudden and completely unexpected and unanticipated layoff.
If that’s you, this article’s for you!
Leaving the office with my purse, briefcase and a box of personal stuff.
Let's talk about "survival"
"The state or fact of continuing to live or exist, typically in spite of an accident, ordeal, or difficult circumstances"
From this place and purposeful mindset, we can start to create a plan for ourselves that turns a layoff survival story into one of empowered choices and actions that set the stage for the next phase of our career and life.
A place where we go from survival to thriving.
A place where we decide to draft a plan, for our future, ideal career.
I call such a plan, a Career Growth Plan.
We may not know all the steps and all the things we want yet in our future career but from this place, all we need to do is start to ask ourselves some powerful questions, such as these:
- What type of career do I want to choose for my future?
- How can I grow myself into the executive that holds this role?
- What gaps do I have with my current skills and experience in order to achieve this career?
- How can I start to fill those gaps NOW?
- Who do I know that I can network with that can help me learn something new, or further my career goals? And, what can I help them with or who can I connect them with?
And powerful decisions. About purposely designing or re-imagining your career, and setting a plan in motion to achieve it.
I did it... and you can too!
All it takes is that first decision.
Some baby steps, Some major steps.
And with a plan and a vision, and the mindset and action to make it all happen, your perfect career can be right around the corner.
What will it be?